I make this salad quite often as we all like it and it is great for lunch. I usually make a big bowl, then divide the salad into mason jars and stainless steel containers that my husband takes to work, my son takes to camp, and I eat from with my daughter in the park. We don’t have to worry about making lunch for three full days.
I like to cut the vegetables quite small so that the little people don’t find reasons to complain. When I serve the salad to my husband, I add a little bit of Dijon mustard as he likes it a bit spicier.
This salad is rich in:
- Vitamin B6 and C, potassium, and copper from potatoes
- Vitamins (K, B5, folate), minerals (molybdenum, potassium, manganese), and fiber from celery
- Many minerals (manganese, copper, potassium, phosphorus), vitamins (biotin, B6, C, B1, folate), and fiber from red onion
- Copper, iron, fiber, vitamin E, healthy fats from olives
- Vitamin E and healthy fats from olive oil (I make my own mayo using olive oil and eggs)
- Proteins and healthy fats from eggs (I make my own mayo using olive oil and eggs)
- Vitamins K, C, A, folate, and iron from parsley
- Vitamin C from lemon juice
Scrumptious Potato Salad
Feeds 8 hungry people (If you have a smaller family you can half the recipe)
1.4 kg (5.3 lbs) potatoes, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped small (approximately 1 ¼ cup)
14 radishes, chopped small (approximately 2 heaping cups)
¼ cup red onion, chopped small
250 ml jar black olives, halved
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup packed parsley, finely chopped
8 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
Wash and scrub the potatoes. Do not peel them. Put potatoes in a big pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, turn the heat to medium, and boil the potatoes until fork tender, but still firm. Drain the water, let the potatoes cool, and dice them.
Put all the ingredients (including the potatoes) in a huge bowl, mix gently, and then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy. It is delicious the next day too as the flavours had time to combine.
Are you looking for another salad to make? Try the Three bean summery salad or Pasta salad with green peppers, tomatoes, and olives.
What are your child’s potato salad favourite ingredients?
Source of nutritional information: