I fell in love with Todd Parr’s book at a department store. Of all the places :). Since then, I have been buying or borrowing Todd’s books from the library and reading them with my kids who share my love for Todd’s books. Todd’s books have simple, yet complex messages, are beautifully illustrated, and are interesting for all the young at heart.
The first time I connected with Todd Parr was last year after we discovered his books and couldn’t put them down. I held a giveaway with Todd’s books right after and because the giveaway was very well received, I decided to do another one, with Todd’s newest book: Be Who You Are.
Both my kids devour Todd’s books from cover to cover and when my 7-year old son is in a good mood and has loving feelings for his sister, he even reads the books to her. Otherwise, she stares at each picture carefully and comes up with her own stories about what happens in the book.
Be Who You Are is a gorgeous book (like all Todd’s books) with a beautiful message. It helps kids understand that although we are all different from one another, we need to be true to ourselves, be kind with one another and not judge a book by its cover.
I contacted Todd prior to this giveaway and asked him a few questions to get to know him better. He happily agreed. So without further ado, here’s Todd.
- When did you write your first book and what was it about?
1998 There were four 6×6 books published. The Oaky Book, This is My Hair, Do’s and Don’ts, Things That Make You Feel Good.
- How many books have you written so far? Do you have a favorite?
I think I am over forty five now. One of my favorites is The Underwear Book. It’s always a big hit with the crowd. I’m also very proud of The Goodbye Book as that took me a long time to figure out how I was going to tackle the issue of saying goodbye to someone.
- Each of your books carries beautiful messages and your newest book is no exception. The book is entitled “Be who you are”. Tell us what the title means to you.
Thank you. Be Who You Are is an extension of my book It’s Okay to Be Different. Sixteen years this was my message for my readers. Now, I just want to empower my audience to BE WHO YOU ARE.
- What does your schedule look like when you are creating?
I’m very quick once I latch onto an idea. I want to see how it’s going to turn out. So everything else revolves around this. Except for walking and feeding my three dogs. They rule the house. 🙂
- When you begin writing a book, do you have a picture in your mind for each page or do they slowly come to you as you progress through your creative process? How long does it take to create a book, from start to finish?
Usually once I have the idea I just start drawing, and things quickly unfold. I get excited so I want to know that my publisher is excited as I am. The entire process is usually a year or more.
- What do you like to do when you are not creating?
I like to cook. I also love to be at the ocean.
- Do your readers get in touch with you? What are some of the messages you receive?
Yes! So many people express how my books have helped them, or someone in their family.
- What book do you have on your night stand right now?
I’m being honest so I will tell you it’s my iPone and Watch charging. And a picture of my dog Bully. But when I was young it was Go Dog Go by Dr. Seuss.
- And of course, I have to ask a food-related question. Do you like to try new foods? If you do, what was the last one you tried and what did you think of it?
I love to try new foods. Usually the highlight of my travels is trying new and different foods. I love to experience different cultures, but I won’t try anything to crazy. I’ll eat macaroni and cheese anytime. 🙂
Thank you, Todd, for being part of this giveaway and thank you for enriching our children’s lives with your books’ positive messages that build self-esteem and help our little ones grow into awesome human beings!
I am certain you’ll love Todd’s books as much as my family does and I hope you’ll read and enjoy them with your entire family.
There are the 3 ways to enter this giveaway for “Be Who You Are” by Todd Parr. Each gives you 1 entry to the giveaway.
- Subscribe to the Orgali blog by email. The link to subscribe (green rectangle) is on the right side on this page.
- Like Orgali Holistic Nutrition Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/orgalinutrition
- Tell us in the comments section below if your family read Todd’s books before and if you have a favourite.
This giveaway is open to readers residing in Canada and the USA. Skill testing question required. No purchase necessary.
The giveaway for Be Who You Are starts on Sunday, January 22, 2017 and ends on Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 8 pm MT. A winner will be chosen using a random number generator and announced on the blog on Monday February 6. The odds of winning depend on the number of entries received. I will contact the winner by email and post the result on the blog. The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If no response is received within 48 hours, another winner will be chosen.
The winner is Renee Hribar. Congratulations, Renee!