Until a few years ago, I never made a meal plan. I did not grow up knowing what meal planning was and when I first heard about it (after I had my son), I saw it as a waste of time. But when I actually sat down and took the time to plan my meals one week, I was hooked.
The week I made my first meal plan my grocery bill dropped (as I used a lot of the ingredients that I already had in my pantry and freezer), there were no complaints at the table (as I chose the recipes, except 2 new ones, that I knew everyone loves), and I was more relaxed during the day knowing that a glance at my meal plan taped to my kitchen cupboard showed me exactly what we will eat next.
I call that a successful week!
9 reasons why meal planning is beneficial to you and your family:
- To expose your family to a variety of foods. If you offer the same foods day after day, your family will burn out on those foods and stop enjoying them.
- To help your family try new ingredients or new food combinations with familiar ingredients.
- To ensure that your family gets nutritious, well-rounded meals.
- To ensure your family gets tasty foods.
- To avoid spending money on ingredients when you already have the same ones or similar ones in your freezer and pantry.
- To buy produce in season and save money.
- To eat out less and save money.
- To save you the stress of not knowing what you will make for dinner next.
Is there anything about meal planning I forgot to add to the list? Please let me know so that I can add it.
Are you ready to make a meal plan that works for your family? Let’s do this together!
What about you? Do you make weekly meal plans? Do you love them or hate them?