You might remember that a few months ago I held an interview with Louise Hendon from Paleo Living Magazine and a giveaway for a subscription to Paleo Living Magazine which she is co-founded with her husband Jeremy Hendon.
Today I am happy to announce that Louise and Jeremy recently published their first cookbook: The Essential Paleo Cookbook.
Louise and Jeremy are offering a digital version of the Essential Paleo Cookbook to one of my readers. In addition, they are also offering 8 digital bonuses:
- 30 minute Paleo dessert recipes
- World’s greatest weight loss secret
- 15 Paleo pitfalls
- 25 Paleo cooking hacks
- 4-week meal plan with shopping lists
- 31 proven ways to spend way less on a Paleo diet
- Paleo diet food list
- Paleo pantry list
I did not have a chance to read the paper copy of the Essential Paleo Cookbook as it is still in the mail, but I thoroughly read the digital version and loved it.
The Essential Paleo Cookbook is divided into 7 chapters and has more than 100 recipes:
4. Side dishes
5. Desserts and breads
6. Condiments, sauces, dressings, and snacks
The recipes that Louise and Jeremy included in the Essential Paleo Cookbook are recipes that they love and make all the time. They wanted to include recipes that are easy to make and they succeeded. Many recipes are simple, delicious, and can be prepared in a pinch. The authors believe that any recipe from the cookbook could appeal to kids. In addition, they marked those that are very kid-friendly.
There are so many recipes that sound delicious and easy to make. I already chose many that I will make for my family and that I know my kids will love. Here are some from my chosen list:
- Garlic chicken nuggets
- Cauliflower fried rice
- Sweet potato tater tots
- Amazing chocolate chip muffins
- Double chocolate coconut ice cream
- Chinese egg drop soup
- Sweet n’ salty bacon egg muffins
Louise and Jeremy graciously agreed to share one of their delicious kid-friendly recipes from their book with us.
Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Cashew ‘Cheese’
Prep Time: 15 minutes (however, cashews should ideally be soaked overnight before using)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 4 dates
- 16 pitted dates (small) (scale up the cashew and coconut oil amounts for larger dates)
- 8 slices of thinly sliced bacon (cut each slice in half to create 16 shorter slices)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) raw cashews, soaked overnight (omit for AIP)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) water
- Place the raw cashews into a bowl of room temperature water so that it covers the cashews, drape a paper towel or tea towel over the bowl to prevent dust settling, and soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Place the soaked cashews, 1/2 cup fresh water, and coconut oil into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Slice each date along one side so that it opens up and fill each date with the cashew ‘cheese’ and close it up. Wrap one of the half-slices of bacon around the date and place on baking tray with sides (as the fat from the bacon tends to run).
- Bake for 20 minutes before flipping the bacon-wrapped dates over (with tongs).
- Bake for another 10 minutes (i.e. for a total of 30 minutes).
One thing I love about this cookbook is that all the recipes are gluten- and dairy-free. My son is gluten and dairy sensitive, so everything I make for my family excludes gluten and dairy ingredients. Some Paleo cookbooks include dairy, but the Essential Paleo Cookbook does not. This makes my life a lot simpler since I can make these recipes without experimenting with dairy substitutions.
I also love the fact that almost every recipe is accompanied by a photo. Before I decide to make any recipe from any cookbook or website, I always like to see how the final product is supposed to look. If there are no photos, then I may not notice the recipe when browsing for something delicious and nutritious.
The giveaway is now closed. The winner is Nan Bixby. Nan, I will get in touch with you through email. Congratulations!
This giveaway is open to anyone. If you would like to win this cookbook, please subscribe to my Orgali newsletter (the link is on the right side of this page – green rectangle) and then leave a comment below telling me what is your family’s favourite Paleo recipe (if any). The giveaway closes on Tuesday the 23rd of December at 8 pm Mountain time. The winner will be randomly drawn and announced on Wednesday the 24th of December by email.